Maximum number of cars added to compare list.

What's your postcode?

We need your postcode in order to provide accurate search results.


Enter your first name
Enter your last name
Enter your phone number

Got a part exchange?

Tell us your reg plate and receive a part exchange valuation on your car?

What's this?

Compare cars side by side to save time clicking backwards and forwards between them.

Abolition of the tax disc – what does it mean for you if you’re thinking of buying or selling a vehicle?Back

TaxDisc02From 1 October 2014, DVLA will no longer be issuing tax discs but you will still need to tax your vehicle. DVLA will still send a renewal reminder when your vehicle tax
is due to expire. This applies to all types of vehicles including those that are exempt from payment of vehicle tax.

Buying a used vehicle

Vehicle tax will no longer be transferable from 1 October onwards. This means that if you’re thinking of buying a vehicle, be careful and don’t be fooled into buying it – thinking that any remaining tax is part of the deal, it’s not – vehicle tax is not transferable.

As the new keeper you must tax your vehicle before you use it on the road. You can tax using the New Keeper Supplement (V5C/2) online at by using our automated phone service 0300 123 4321 – 24 hours a day, 7 days a week or at a Post Office® branch that
deals with vehicle tax. Due to insurance legislation in Northern Ireland (NI), new keepers in NI must tax at a Post Office® branch that deals with vehicle tax.

From 1 October 2014 (5 October if setting up at a Post Office®), Direct Debit will be offered as an additional way to pay for vehicle tax. This will be available for customers who need to tax their vehicle from 1 November 2014:

• 12 monthly (one-off payment)
• 6 monthly (one-off payment)
• monthly (12 months tax paid for on a monthly basis).

Your Direct Debit will renew automatically provided there is a valid MOT (and insurance for Northern Ireland) unless you have told us you no longer have the vehicle or have declared a Statutory Off Road Notification (SORN).

If you’re buying a car and are not sure how much the tax costs you can find out by going to

Selling a vehicle? What’s changing?

You can no longer include any remaining tax when selling your vehicle. Vehicle tax is not transferable from the 1 October 2014.

If you sell your vehicle ON/OR after the 1 October you no longer need to apply for a refund of vehicle tax. DVLA will automatically issue a refund from the date of receipt for any full remaining months of vehicle tax when you tell them you have sold/transferred, scrapped, exported the vehicle, made a SORN or if the vehicles tax class has changed to an exempt class. You need to make sure that your details are correct as the refund will be sent to the name and address held on DVLA records.

If you are in the motor trade then you can remove the tax disc from any vehicles in your stock from
1 October. This will help new buyers from not being caught out.


DVLA Trade Plates FAQs

1. I am a motor trader who uses Trade plates. I recently renewed my licence, how will this work going forward and what will I receive in the post?

The process remains unchanged, other than no tax discs will be issued for vehicle tax starting from 1st October 2014 onwards. A letter of confirmation of licensing will be issued to you.

2. I’m a dealer using a part exchange vehicle that is taxed until Jan 2015. The car is ‘in trade’ but still registered to the original owner. Can I continue to use this vehicle with its current tax disc until I sell it even if I’m not shown a s the registered keeper?

From 1st October 2014, once notification has been received that a vehicle is ‘in trade’ the previous keeper will be removed from the vehicle record. The previous licence will end and an automatic refund of vehicle tax will be issued to the registered keeper.
Trade plates should be used for day to day business. Once the vehicle is sold, the new keeper must register and tax the vehicle before driving it on the road.

3. I am a trader, can you tell me what the conditions are for applying for Trade plates?

There is no automatic right to the issue of a trade licence and only those that can fully comply with the specified criteria will be eligible to become a trade licence holder. To be eligible to apply for a trade licence you must either be a motor trader, a dealer in mechanically propelled vehicles, or a vehicle tester. Further information on trade plates can be found at plates

4. How many trade plates can a dealer have?

A dealer can have as many trade plates as they can show a need for, as long as the conditions are met.

5. Where can I find more information about the legislation governing Trade plates/licences?

The legislation governing trade licences is contained in sections 11 to 14 of the Vehicle Excise and Registration Act 1994 (VERA) and part VII and schedule 6 of the Road Vehicles (Registration and Licensing) Regulations 2002 (as amended).

6. Can a dealer drive a vehicle currently in the trade after taxing it online without adding another owner to the car?

No, the vehicle must be registered and taxed in the dealer/traders name or trade plates must be used (following the trade plate conditions). This is not changing with the introduction of abolition of the tax disc and is as current legislation.

7. What happens to the refund for vehicles that are taxed but held by a dealer and “in trade” on 1st October 2014? Will there be an automatic process or will dealers have to send the tax discs off for a refund and if this is the case will the fact that the car is showing as “in trade” prevent the original owner from receiving the refund?

Vehicle tax will be non transferable after 1 October 2014. If the dealer wishes to claim the refund they will need to become the registered keeper before 1 October 2014.

For vehicles passed to the trade before 1 October 2014 which are then sold after this date – the previous keeper (the keeper who passed the vehicle to trade) will automatically receive a refund of any remaining full months tax.

8. If we have dealer stock that’s ‘in the trade’ and we sell/transfer to another dealer that’s ‘in the trade’ do we need to tell DVLA?

There is no requirement for you to tell us a vehicle has moved between traders if you are not the registered keeper.

9. What should I put in the triangle holder that is located on my front plate?

There is no requirement to display anything in the triangular holder.

10. What are the current rules regarding the display of Trade plates?

This is covered in part VII, regulation 42 of the 2002 Regulations. This states that ‘the trade plates issued by the Secretary of State shall be fixed to and displayed on the vehicle in such a manner that, if the general registration mark assigned to the holder were a registration mark assigned to the vehicle, the provisions of regulations 5 and 6 of the Road Vehicles (Display of Registration Marks) Regulations 2001 would be complied with’. Trade plates should be positioned on a vehicle in the same manner as an ordinary registration number, i.e. they should cover a vehicle’s registration number at the front and rear. Trade plates should not be displayed in any other position on a vehicle (e.g. it is not possible for the original registration plates to be obscured and the trade plates to subsequently be displayed in the front windscreen of a vehicle). The trade plates should cover the existing registration plates.

11. Are there any plans to change the design of trade plates?

DVLA has an agreed contract for trade plates which expires in 2017. No changes will be made to the design of trade plates during that time.

Posted by Sue Robinson on 26/09/2014